Sunday 15 December 2013

Advent. Darkness

In the darkness
of the late afternoon
a heavy sadness
comes upon my soul.

This Advent is a lonely time.

Loved ones so far:
my heart longs to see them.
I am so burdened
by this sense of distance.

This Advent, I long for peace.

Mary, without
mother, sisters or friends
waited all alone
for the coming babe.

This Advent is a waiting game.

In the darkness
of the late afternoon
I give Him my pain
and look up with thanks.

This Advent will be a joyful time.

I keep my eyes
fixed hopefully on Him
who is my Saviour
in these troubled days.

This Advent, I choose to praise.

Louie speaks of waiting.  Lisa writes so beautifully of waiting in the dark:

There is a time
in that long last hour
we begin to believe
it will always
be night

In the spreading pool of dark
there is a silence
so profound
it carries
weight

And cold?
It fills us

Immobilized by
this invading
lack of
light

We are numb

Speak to the night
my heart

Speak to the night
a word of hope

This bitter blackness
This copious and
convincing cold

Cannot
Will not
Shall not
last

Hold on
to this

Salvation
comes


-lisa, 15 December, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment