Tuesday 10 March 2009

Trust

'Trust' caught my eye this morning. The front cover of the New Wine magazine bore the words: Where's your trust? Responses to the world-wide financial crisis featured heavily inside, as articles examined ways of living in times of trouble. It was also encouraging to read stories of how God has worked in lives.

Some years ago, just as we were entering possibly the most difficult period of our lives, a friend gave us this verse from Psalm 33, verses 17 - 22:

A horse is a vain hope for deliverance; despite all its great strength it cannot save. But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love, to deliver them from death and keep them alive in famine.

We wait in hope for the LORD;he is our help and our shield. In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name. May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in you.

Psalm 20:7 also says: Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.

These verses are so familiar to me, I thought I would try to find more, so I looked up 'trust' on www.biblegateway.com and found 164 entries for trust, trustworthy, and so on. But I found I couldn't look further, because Psalm 33 says it all for me. I need to remember that 'horses' - money, job, friends, even church family - are 'vain hopes'. It is only God who needs my hope and trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment