Tuesday 17 March 2009

Jesus says: I am...

I was preparing an RS lesson this morning, looking up the metaphors Jesus describes himself as:

"I am the bread of life." John 6:35, 41, 48-51
"I am the light of the world." John 8:12, 9:5
"I am the door of the sheep." John 10:7, 9
"I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep." John 10:11, 14
"I am the resurrection, and the life." John 11:25
"I am the way, the truth, and the life." John 14:6
"I am the true vine." John 15:1, 5


Then I came across an eighth 'I am' with no metaphorical object.

It is I; be not afraid [In Greek, same as "I am; be not afraid"]. John 6:16-21

The ultimate 'I am', really: Jesus says: "It's me, Jesus. However you think of me - as life-giving bread, vital light, whatever, know that you can trust me: you do not need to be afraid."

No comments:

Post a Comment