Wednesday 27 March 2013

Looking beyond..to Easter Sunday...before the evening.

Bonnie over at incourage talks about how the disciples must have felt that Sunday morning: 'On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jewish leaders, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!”'  (John 20:19, NIV)

She notes: "They are locked in room...Unable to fathom what life would look like on the other side of the door.
They are afraid. Feeling trapped. Guilty. At a loss for words.
Yet, their hearts and minds were overrun by questions of now-what, what-if, how, when, who and why.
But, still, there is no easy way out.
Even though Peter and John had both seen the linens discarded in the tomb. They too had retreated behind closed doors.
Without clarity.  They’ve never gone this way before.  They were so sure, so confident of the way Jesus was leading them.
Now, uncertainty is all that seems to consumes them.
So unexpected.  So all alone.

This is how He comes to them.
Jesus comes to them — not just behind closed doors.
The doors were locked....

Jesus...continues to come to me now.
Even through locked doors.
Jesus knows how to enter. Even if I don’t.
Jesus is the name I can call on.
Jesus is my hope through the storm."

She echoes my thoughts. Faced with uncertainty on many levels - not least, where my church 'home' might be and how that is changing - I feel like this. Trapped behind locked doors. Without clarity. Trying to peer through fog to discern the way forward.

I am waiting. Waiting for Jesus to come, to show me the way. For Jesus is the name I honour, and that has to come before my fears, my insecurities, my anxieties, my puzzlement and my confusion.
"He must become greater; I must become less.” (John 3:30)

"Jesus is the name we honour;
Jesus is the name we praise.
Majestic Name above all other names,
The highest heaven and earth proclaim
That Jesus is our God.

Chorus.
We will glorify,
We will lift Him high,
We will give Him honour and praise.
We will glorify,
We will lift Him high,
We will give Him honour and praise.

2.
Jesus is the name we worship;
Jesus is the name we trust.
He is the King above all other kings,
Let all creation stand and sing
That Jesus is our God.

3.
Jesus is the Father’s splendour;
Jesus is the Father’s joy.
He will return to reign in majesty,
And every eye at last shall see
That Jesus is our God."

Phil Lawson Johnston   Copyright © 1991 Thankyou Music

No comments:

Post a Comment