Sunday 3 February 2013

God-sized dreams...?

New year, new year...new goals....Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust him, and He will help you… Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for Him to act.” Psalm 37:4-5
“Trust in the Lord and do good. Then you will live safely in the land and prosper. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart’s desire.” – Psalm 37:3-4

Francis Chan encourages us: “I don’t want my life to be explainable without the Holy Spirit. I want people to look at my life and know that I couldn’t be doing this by my own power. I want to live in such a way that I am desperate for Him to come through. That if He doesn’t come through, I am screwed.”

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 2 Corinthians 5:17
Yet it's all about me: "if we truly believe that life change occurs from the inside out, rather than the other way around, our resolutions would reflect that belief.
We’d commit to finally getting the counseling we need, or to confessing our struggles, sins and dysfunctions to a mentor or trusted confidant, or to surrendering that habit, luxury or excess in our lives to the Lord.
If we profess to believe the gospel of Jesus Christ then we will live a life that reflects a commitment to an ongoing, inside-out, ever deepening transformation more and more into the image of Jesus Christ.
We’ll never compromise with mediocrity.
We’ll refuse to be average.
We’ll recognize status quo as an enemy of our souls."

Yes, I need to change. But perhaps, instead of my needing to change to make my life better, perhaps I need to change to make other people's lives better?

So dream God-sized dreams. Holley Gerth says: "We can’t help but dream God-sized dreams.

For some, that may mean stepping out on a thin limb of creativity and faith.
For others, it may be a matter a heart shift toward people or surroundings.
And for still others, it may be responding a startling moment of discovery.
But whatever your age and stage in life, that’s the heartbeat of the innovative life—recognizing that we are all called and created to be about the redemptive purposes of God. We’re meant to dream God-sized dreams."
  Proverbs 19:21

We talked about this over  breakfast a couple of weeks ago. Before we knew it, from talking about a dream of taking time out with God on a quiet morning, we had organised a retreat for ourselves later in the year.

This 'God-sized dream' quietly terrifies me as I contemplate sharing the vision with others, organising lead-in reflections, arranging for music and worship, and booking the venue.

Stepping out on a limb indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment