Wednesday 15 April 2015

Capturing unhelpful thoughts

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the  knowledge of God,  and we take captive every thought  to make it  obedient  to  Christ.  ~2 Corinthians 10:5I've been thinking about this verse quite a lot recently:

"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God..every bit of pride that keeps anyone from knowing God. We capture people’s thoughts and make them obey Christ and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ. Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity.
"

And although the context is Paul writing to the Corinthians, some of whom were belittling him and saying that he warred 'according to the flesh', I can also apply it to my 'anxious thoughts and imaginings' which take me away from Jesus. As Barnes says: "Casting down imaginations (as it is in the KJV, or 'reasonings'. The word is probably used here in the sense of device, and refers to all the plans of a wicked world; the various systems of false philosophy; and the reasonings of the enemies of the gospel."

All the plans of a wicked world refer to what goes on in my thought and emotional life, for what is inside is expressed outwardly.

My reading today is from 1 Peter 4:12 - 14: "Friends, when life gets really difficult, don’t jump to the conclusion that God isn’t on the job. Instead, be glad that you are in the very thick of what Christ experienced. This is a spiritual refining process, with glory just around the corner.
If you’re abused because of Christ, count yourself fortunate.
"
I'm reminded of Mary de Muth's thoughts on finding joy, which reflect how I must discipline my thought life as if I was a soldier fighting a battle. I need to capture unhelpful thoughts and make them obey Jesus.

Remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment