Tuesday 28 April 2015

humility. not even a capital letter for the word.

1 Peter 5:5 
In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,

“God opposes the proud
but shows favor to the humble.”
(Proverbs 3:34: 

He mocks proud mockers but shows favor to the humble and oppressed; The Lord sneers at those who sneer at him, but he is kind to everyone who is humble; He gives proud skeptics a cold shoulder,
but if you’re down on your luck, he’s right there to help.

v.35 Wise living gets rewarded with honour; stupid living gets the booby prize. What is wise living? In this context, it seems to be living humbly. Perhaps what Andy Stanley talks about when he asks: In the light of your past experiences, your present circumstances and your future hopes and dreams...what is the WISE thing to do?

Clothe myself with humility. Humility is not my natural state and so I need to acquire and wear it. I can't wait for someone else to give it to me, either as a new present or as one of their cast-offs; no, I need to buy it. And second-hand garments of humility won't do, either: I have to buy new and, sometimes, expensively. Humility can be very, very costly.

So how do I shop for humility? 

No comments:

Post a Comment