Tuesday 5 July 2011

Small things!

After blogging about small things a day or two ago, I caught up with a devotional named One Year At His Feet. A friend who works for Bible Explorer had sent it to me recently, so I have just begun to dip into it. I turned back to where I had last read - the day I wrote about 'small things'.  Guess what it was about? That bringing about the Kingdom of God, as Jesus said, starts small. "...like what happens when a mustard seed is planted in the ground. It is the smallest seed in all the world. But once it is planted, it grows larger than any garden plant. It even puts out branches that are big enough for birds to nest in its shade."  (Mark 4:30-32) The Kingdom of God began with small things: with one man (Abraham). With one step of belief. One 'small' act of obedience ....hmmm, not so sure about that, uprooting your whole family and leaving town to go off travelling to a place you do not know...not so small. Anyway, you get my drift.


I should have read this devotional before blogging. Because it just reflected my thoughts and feelings so well: it reminded me that we often think that accomplishing something in God's kingdom means impacting lots of people in highly visible ways, building large ministries, having lots of people listen to what we say or watch what we do. Yet we need to remember that everything has often begun with one small step of faith. I think of Christians Against Poverty, a ministry which saves debt-trapped lives, begun by one man in his spare room with a gift of £10. Of Heidi Baker in Mozambique. Mother Teresa. The list is endless. 


The devotional ends with words which echo my own: "Never despise the small things in your life. Never...neglect the minute details of service. The massive doors of God's kingdom swing on tiny hinges of our faith and obedience. Focus on the hinges, and you'll see the doors open wide."


Cassiodorus said: "He is invited to do great things who receives small things greatly." Hearts are touched by one soft song, lives changed by one kind word. Nothing in God's kingdom is too small to count or too small to grow into something huge.


Perspective. Obedience. Humility. Focus. Contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment