Sunday 14 March 2010

Becoming mislaid by distraction

I was rereading a blog entry Becoming a Christian Community when I read that I wanted to discern where I was 'becoming mislaid by distraction'. Except it actually said 'misled with distraction'.

And I started wondering what I actually meant by both those phrases.

I am certainly misled with distraction. I can go off quite randomly all over the shop, wandering towards each new thought, idea, sight, sound, experience...

And I do feel that I am 'mislaid' sometimes. As if I am in the wrong place, or have been lost. And that the distractions around and within me have mis-laid me - literally, put me in the wrong place. The wrong place physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. In all sorts of ways: maybe just in lazily eating chocolate biscuits while I am reading a novel, instead of getting on with 'to do' list. And I'm not talking about real 'time out' for myself but when it is just self-indulgence. I am mis-layed by distraction. Not where I ought to be.

But that is not what the Bible teaches. The Bible says that God has me in the palm of his hand

God knows exactly where I am, he sees me - as close as the hand before his face.

No comments:

Post a Comment