Wednesday 10 April 2024

Thoughts from summer 2023

I’ve done a lot of thinking over the last few weeks, most of it unproductive and disturbingly revealing of my (many) sins. It is a hard road to become like Paul and consider myself the ‘least of all (wo)men’. I feel an intensely strong need to keep hold of my own personal identity, to ‘know who I am’, to be strong in myself and am disappointed when I fail, yet again. I am just too weak.

And yet the Bible tells me over and over that it is in weakness that I find my strength. I think I need to find these Scriptures and, if not committing them to memory, collect them somewhere to hold on to and remind myself over and over.

SPACE FOR BIBLE VERSES WHICH REMIND OF WEAKNESS!!

 One of the significant areas has been struggling with having a sense of purpose, wondering about the futility of many of the things I am or have been concerned with and burdened by a sense of sin. The older I get, the more sins there are to cope with and ask forgiveness for! A strong driver behind all this has been missing family who live so far away and who we seldom see.

 Yet, the morning of August 8th, the same verse popped up in the Lectio365 app and Bible In One Year with Nicky and Pippa Gumbel. Psalm 92:12-14.

The righteous flourish like a palm tree and grow strong like the cedars of Lebanon.

Planted in the house of the Lord they flourish in the courts of our God.

They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green,

 

Flourish.

Strong's 6524: To break forth as a, bud, bloom, to spread, to fly, to flourish

Bear fruit

Strong's 5107: To germinate, to flourish, to utter

Planted

8362: to transplant

 

The idea of being planted comes from the Hebrew word ‘transplant’. According to the dictionary, it means to move something, or to be moved, from one place or person to another. We transplant a shoot or plant, often a young plant, somewhere we hope that it will thrive and grow BETTER THAN BEFORE. Those of us who have moved house to another place, even perhaps only a few miles away, do so with the hope that we will thrive better than before.

For those of us who have been transplanted unwillingly – perhaps sent to another school as a child or moving away from family and friends because of a spouse’s job – we feel uncomfortable, as if we don’t really belong. We talk about ‘putting down roots’ or ‘adjusting’. Sometimes it takes us a while to feel that God has indeed ‘planted’ us and that we can ‘bloom where we are planted’.

 

So, whether we choose or not, we are planted. How do we recognise that we are planted in the house of the Lord?

 

The promise in Psalm 92 is that we WILL flourish.

 

What does ‘flourish’ look like?

Psalm 1:3

They are like trees growing beside a stream, trees that produce fruit in season and always have leaves. Those people succeed in everything they do. (ESV)

How do they do this? The previous two verses tell us: Psalm 1:1-2 Oh, the joys of those who do not follow evil men’s advice, who do not hang around with sinners, scoffing at the things of God. But they delight in doing everything God wants them to, and day and night are always meditating on his laws and thinking about ways to follow him more closely.

 

Cross-references: Joshua 1:8 This Book of the Law must not depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. For then you will prosper and succeed in all you do.

Psalm 25:5 Guide me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; all day long I wait for You.

Psalm 63:5 My soul is satisfied as with the richest of foods; with joyful lips my mouth will praise You.

Psalm 63:6 When I remember You on my bed, I think of You through the watches of the night.

Psalm 112:1 Hallelujah! Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who greatly delights in His commandments.

Psalm 119:14 I rejoice in the way of Your testimonies as much as in all riches.

Psalm 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

Psalm 112:1 Praise ye the LORD. Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD, that delighteth greatly in his commandments.

Psalm 119:11,35,47,48,72,92

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee…

Psalm 104:34 My meditation of him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the LORD.

Psalm 119:11,15,97-99 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee…

 

Indeed. Yet sometimes it is hard to meditate on Scripture. We get distracted by all those hundreds and thousands of things that we have to do in our days, by relationships with friends and family – all good things, but often there just doesn’t seem to be time to ‘meditate’, apart from a few minutes, perhaps, on the toilet or in the shower.

 

What makes the difference for me is in the encouragement of others. I find it hard to go it alone. “Planted in the house of the Lord they (the righteous) flourish in the courts of our God.” House of the Lord can mean the actual temple but here it means to be in God’s presence, to be living with God and to let him nurture us, as a tree planted in a garden is nurtured and cared for.

But I think it also can mean to be in the house of the Lord which is the Church – not just Trinity, but the believers we are in community with, our friends who may live elsewhere, our family, sermons and talks we may listen to, Christian blogs and vlogs we may watch.

 

For me, I get huge encouragement from being with others in a small group.

Hebrews 10:25 talks about “not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” and Jesus went beyond just being planted in God’s house but taught that we are actually grafted in, joined together with him and each other in one vine.

 

John 15:1 – 8 “I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. 3 You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you. 4 Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.

5 “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. 6 Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. 7 But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! 8 When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father.” New Living Translation

 

Yes, my hair is becoming progressively greyer and old age seems to be approaching ever more rapidly. But God has promised that, if I stay in His presence, and know that my righteousness is only because of what Jesus has done – that I am indeed the ‘least of all (wo)men’, then I will indeed bear fruit in old age and stay fresh and green. For “ Do you not know? Have you not heard?

The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:28 – 31

 

I can ‘forget’ the many sins and mistakes I have committed, because Jesus has forgiven me and made me righteous. I think of verses such as Psalm 52:8-9

But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God;
I trust in God’s unfailing love
 for ever and ever.
For what you have done I will always praise you
 in the presence of your faithful people.
And I will
hope in your name, for your name is good.

 

Romans 5 reminds me:  Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we[a] have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only so, but we[c] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;  perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

 

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”

 

The New Living Translation says that ‘hope does not lead to disappointment’.  If we feel disappointed with ourselves, grieving over past mistakes, hurts and sins, let us hang on to hope, because ‘God’s name is good.’ And he has promised.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment