Friday 4 January 2013

Not a 'Nowhere Man'...

Reading Isaiah 65 this morning, I found the words of John Lennon's 'Nowhere Man' running through my head:

He's a real nowhere man
Sitting in his nowhere land
Making all his nowhere plans for nobody

Doesn't have a point of view
Knows not where he's going to
Isn't he a bit like you and me?
Nowhere man please listen
You don't know what you're missing
Nowhere man, The world is at your command

He's as blind as he can be
Just sees what he wants to see
Nowhere man, can you see me at all
Nowhere man don't worry
Take your time, don't hurry
Leave it all till somebody else

Lends you a hand

I wondered why.
Then I looked at the Isaiah passage again. God says:

“I’ve made myself available to those who haven’t bothered to ask.
I’m here, ready to be found by those who haven’t bothered to look.
I kept saying ‘I’m here, I’m right here’ to a nation that ignored me.
I reached out day after day to a people who turned their backs on me,
People who make wrong turns, who insist on doing things their own way...
But you who abandon me, your God, who forget the holy mountains,
Who hold dinners for Lady Luck and throw cocktail parties for Sir Fate,
Well, you asked for it. Fate it will be: your destiny, Death.
For when I invited you, you ignored me;
when I spoke to you, you brushed me off.
You did the very things I exposed as evil;
you chose what I hate.”

So there are consequences.
Those of us who follow Jesus do not have to fear - He has, by his grace, saved us as he does all who choose him - but this is still an encouragement to keep focused, to keep on 'running the race' as Paul did,

Going somewhere. Run with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment