Wednesday 16 May 2012

Proverbs 31:1-6 - the first few days.

Proverbs 31:1-6
The words of King Lemuel, the strong advice his mother gave him:
 "Oh, son of mine, what can you be thinking of!
 Child whom I bore! The son I dedicated to God!
Don't dissipate your virility on fortune-hunting women,
   promiscuous women who shipwreck leaders.

Leaders can't afford to make fools of themselves,
   gulping wine and swilling beer 

So this chapter all about a marvellous woman starts with a criticism of those who will lead a king astray...
As mothers, we can challenge our children if they are going astray...but how to do this with wisdom and gentleness? Does this also apply to other children in our care - for example, to those of us who are teachers in any way? Or to 'children' in the faith?

 There is the implication that it is so easy to be careless. With position and power and privilege comes responsibility - a reminder that each of us has a Position and a Responsibility. Others are watching us and how we behave: I am reminded of Francis of Assisi who said: 'Preach the Gospel at all times; if necessary, use words.'
The NIV says that leaders should not drink 'lest they ...forget what has been decreed and deprive all the oppressed of their rights'. LEADERS shouldn't get drunk and make fools of themselves, or they'll forget how to lead and make bad judgements. Isn't it always the poor and voiceless who suffer the most injustice in our world?

I'm known in the staff room for 'saying what everyone else is just thinking and doesn't dare to' - yes, I AM quoting here! Otherwise known as 'putting my foot in it'. Fortunately, everyone just finds this funny - I think I only offended someone once and that person has a reputation for No Sense Of Humour (very very rarely understands any sort of joke or humorous comment from anyone, not just me)! My colleagues also know that the effect is doubled after just one small glass of wine...so I do try to be careful how much alcohol I drink because I know I may very well say something tactless, and don't want to upset anyone if I can help it.

May I watch my words and actions
so that You may not be ashamed
to be living in me.








No comments:

Post a Comment