Sunday 4 March 2012

Too many blogs...

I read too many blogs, sometimes.
My home page on facebook is filled with too many updates.
I deliberately don't have a large number of 'friends' but I do subscribe to a number of inspirational blogs and groups.
Today, many of these updates spoke to me:
As I go through a study of Ephesians with Good Morning Girls, updating posts onto a tiny facebook group of a few local friends I meet with once a month for breakfast, this morning's reading was Ephesians 4:17-19 The Message says: And so I insist—and God backs me up on this—that there be no going along with the crowd, the empty-headed, mindless crowd. They've refused for so long to deal with God that they've lost touch not only with God but with reality itself. They can't think straight anymore. Feeling no pain, they let themselves go in sexual obsession, addicted to every sort of perversion.
This talks about what the 'others' do - and I shouldn't, by inference. No going along with the crowd...
This mornings 'act' from 40Acts was to make myself uncomfortable: People often say ‘I don’t want to be rich, I just want to be comfortable’. Comfort has become a trophy; a prize to strive for. Well, let’s turn that on it’s head. Be uncomfortable today. Don’t hog that seat on the train, give it to someone else; whether they’re pregnant/elderly or not. If you know your neighbour is struggling to find work, offer to split your pay-check with them. Go out of your way, do hard things and leave your comfort zone.
'No going along with the crowd'.
Then, on facebook, these little notes from God:
Stephen Furtick: The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel. - after a weekend struggling with just this issue. A friend had boasted - and yes, it was out and out boasting - on facebook - about her children. Almost designed to hurt others whose children are not as apparently marvellous as hers.  And, much as I struggled and reminded myself about verses such as 'boast in the Lord', I found myself going down under the weight of Comparison and Envy and Insecurity.
Proverbs 31 Ministries: Sometimes hope arrives in big things. Sometimes it trickles in with small things. But always ... always ... it comes from the hand of God. Look for it and thank Him, no matter how big or small it may be. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment