Sunday 20 November 2011

Change

Change.  Change happens. It’s the one constant in life. Change happens to us, we change our environment, we change ourselves...

Let’s think about that in a work context: how do we handle this change?

Our job changes...more work, more responsibility...
Our role might change...
Our colleagues change: some come, some go...
Our work environment may change...
WE have to change: change our approach; change the way we do things; change our opinions...change our perspective

What do we do?

I’ve discovered that, much as I pay lip service to change, when it comes down to deep and meaningful changes in me, I really don’t like it much. I wonder if, deep down, I am so set on knowing who I am, that I don’t want to change that person. Do you think we go through stages like that in our lives?

But sometimes we HAVE to change and don’t want to. The personal challenge to our view of ourselves becomes too great to ignore. Or others demand that we change – and, though we may not want to admit it to ourselves, let alone to anyone else, we secretly agree that that is necessary.

And sometimes we WANT to change but lack the belief that it is possible.
 So, the big question: Do we trust God?

Alison Strobel in a blog post says: 
Will I believe that God’s plans are better than my own? Will I risk stepping out of my comfort zone? Do I believe the growing pains I’ll face will be worth the blessings that will come? Do I trust God to really take care of me? What about you? What changes is God nudging you towards that have you digging in your heels and tightening your grip on whatever you know you need to release? Do you believe the rewards are worth the pain? Or that God’s perfect plan is worth leaving your complacency and comfort behind?
Do you trust Him? Or are you hiding and hoping He passes you by?
The unknown is scary. But ultimately—for me anyway—it’s scarier to think of what I might miss if I don’t let go. And so I say a prayer, open my hands, and peer beyond the edge of what I know, into the vast expanse of the future where a giant question mark dominates the landscape. Do you see it, too?
Today let’s choose to trust God and not require that we like or even understand what He is calling us to do. Let’s submit to Him, believing that the path He calls us to take will always be worth the change, worth the risk, worth the effort, simply because He has chosen it for us.
Others have said: At times it can be a struggle to actually “Trust God” when you are facing change. As humans, we say we are going to trust God, but Satan takes hold and we start to question God & worry if we are really doing the right thing.
This is a nice reminder for all of us that God’s strength & comfort can get us through those times.
When God calls us to something we are not anticipating or we did not plan, it’s always an adventure! And because it’s a God-thing, we have to rely fully on Him. 

So perhaps change in ourselves can be viewed as an adventure, as something exciting... we don’t need to cling on to our ‘old self’ but shrug off a bad habit like an old skin.  Perhaps we are being challenged to change on the gossip front; or on how much we talk – or not.
Perhaps the change God is asking of us is to make more time for him; or perhaps ‘just’ to be less self-righteous. For:

God uses discipline to heal. Our God wants the very best for us. He loves us. He delights in us. He has a plan for us. It is only when we willingly allow God to sanctify our hearts and remove sin…whatever it may be (pride, bitterness, fear, mistrust, shame, guilt, anger)…that God can truly use us and accomplish His plans in and through us.

What are our ‘power verses’?

"’For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’" Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

“Therefore strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. Make level paths for your feet, so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed.” Hebrews 12:12

 “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him and He will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment