Wednesday 20 May 2009

Rest and the body

I have been incredibly busy of late. So busy that it feels as if my mind and spirit are beginning to run faster than the rest of me. That feeling when my emotions start to say: "Whoa there, this is a bit too fast for me. Can't we slow down a little?" That feeling when my body says to my mind: "OK,I'm right with you on this and I know we're having a lot of fun right now, but if we're not careful it'll all end in tears."

That feeling of being on a helter-skelter, accelerating so rapidly that soon it will be impossible to stop.

Phew.

This little psalm is a breath of fresh air:

Keep me safe, O God, for in you I take refuge.
I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord;apart from you I have no good thing."

LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure.

The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.

I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me.

I have set the LORD always before me. Because he is at my right hand,I will not be shaken.

Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay.

You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

Psalm 16:1-2,5-11

"Phew!" say my mind, body and spirit. "Just keep the Lord always before us and we're with you all the way. We can do it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment