Sunday 19 April 2009

Meeting together as the Body of Christ: church.

Thinking about the body of Christ, the church, I realise how easy it is to lose that sense of being 'all together' in one body. It is SO easy to let difference and disagreement creep in: even the first churches experienced this, as we know from Paul's first letter to the church which met in Corinth:
I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought.
The Message puts it even more bluntly: You must get along with each other. You must learn to be considerate of one another, cultivating a life in common. (1 Corinthians 1:10)

So I must remember this: keeping that goal of unity firmly fixed in my mind, I can find it easier to overlook differences. I need to remember to rejoice in our common purpose: we are all pulling in the same direction, even if we are using different methods to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment