Thursday 21 July 2016

Boundaries

Reading on in First 5, I come to Numbers 34, where God tells Moses how to divide up the Promised Land among the tribes of Israel.  This is done by casting lots, according to the size of each tribe. So dividing up the land was not left to the people, where fights and squabbles might have arisen about unfairness, but to God who would decide how the lots would fall and how much land each would get, Indeed, he goes on in Numbers (Chapter 36) to explain what the Levites in particular would have and how their inheritancce would work.

It was all very, very fair - as long as they trusted God and did what he said. As long as they accepted what they were given.

And what immediately struck me - although First 5 concentrates on God's generosity, which is another important lesson to take away from this whole 'given the Promised Land' theme - is that God put BOUNDARIES in place. And how good it is when I accept the boundaries which God has given me. That I am 'content whatever the circumstances', as Paul says.

Circumstances which may, as I reflected yesterday, come as a result of my own sin. It is no good 'backtrading' and living with regrets for my behaviour: I can only go forward, because"...we know and rely on the love God has for us.
God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: in this world we are like Jesus. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

We love because he first loved us. (1 John 4:16 - 19)

No comments:

Post a Comment