Monday 29 September 2014

Unusual

So, Esther has feared for life by approaching the king uninvited, but, instead of punishment, she is welcomed warmly and generously. He even offers her half his kingdom!

I expected her to launch straight in with her message. After all, the situation is desperate and MUST be favourably resolved for Esther and her people.

She didn't. The days of prayer and fasting have made her wise.

"Esther answered, “Your Majesty, please come with Haman to a dinner I will prepare for you later today.”
The king said to his servants, “Hurry and get Haman, so we can accept Esther’s invitation.”
The king and Haman went to Esther’s dinner,"   
Esther 5:4 - 5

Would I have had this wisdom and courage? Patience is hardly one of my virtues, but loyalty is: I can imagine having deep antipathy towards Haman, would-be murderer of my family. How could Esther invite HIM as well as the king?

This was so wise. Esther trusted God to give her the right words to say to the king. She knew that Haman needed to be present to hear the king's answer, so that he could not, later, deny all knowledge nor pretend that he had misunderstood any relaying of the message.

I pray that I would have the wisdom to approach problems patiently, carefully and with great wisdom. Only possible by waiting on God first in prayer.

Psalm 20:4 says: "May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed."

I pray that, first, HE gives me the desires of my heart. May it be HIS will in me. As it was for Esther.

No comments:

Post a Comment