Wednesday 12 January 2011

It's not what I do, it's why I do it...

This shook me recently, as we looking at a Discipleship Journal article by Paul Thigpen about the danger of ‘letting our love grow cold’.  Look at this:

I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked people, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false.You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary.
Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first. (Revelation 2: 2-4 )

Romans 12:3 reminds us that ‘The only accurate way to understand ourselves is by what God is and by what he does for us, not by what we are and what we do for him.’ (The Message) or, as the NIV puts it: ‘Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.

So: Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the LORD Almighty. (Zechariah 4:6, NIV)

Hmmm. I can only understand my life - who I am, what I do.. - by what God is and by what he does for us.

1 comment:

  1. So profound, I love it! It takes away a lot of turmoil when you settle into the fact that God is sovereign and we have nothing to do with anything we do... it's what He is and what He does. Great thought to ponder to rest on today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete