Friday 31 December 2010

Another book review...

As well as joining the NavPress Blogger Review Program, reading and reviewing some wonderful books - primarily on discipleship, my passion - I have also joined Booksneeze. The first book I have to review is 'Outlive Your Life' by Max Lucado. All the author's royalties go towards work supporting children and their families through World Vision.

I never read anything written by Max Lucado without feeling that I am eating a tasty treat: an echo of the Psalmists who say 'The laws of the Lord are true; each one is fair. They are sweeter than honey, even honey dripping from the comb.’ (Psalm 19:9-10, New Living Translation) and ‘How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!’ (Psalm 119:103). His happy style of writing slips down so easily that I was able to read this book before bedtime all in one go: and then re-read it to let the truths he illuminates sink in.

The message is simple, the truths nothing new.  Yet with inspiring examples of real people – both modern day and from Bible times, predominantly the book of Acts – Max leads us through the Christian life: what it means to come to Christ and to live as His follower. I am stirred anew to embrace concepts of caring, compassion, boldness and, above all, being open to Jesus’ call to help the lost, the lonely, the poor.
Read this book. I hope it will inspire you, as it did me, to look at your life anew. To recognise the many blessings God has gifted you with, and to take action to use them. Even something as simple as the gift of a smile, an encouraging word, a cup of water... Just give.  As Max says, at the end of Chapter 1: ‘Here’s a salute to a long life: goodness that outlives the grave, love that outlasts the final breath. May you live in such a way that your death is just the beginning of your life.’

Imagine living a life of such goodness and love. We can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment