Monday 24 February 2020

Sabbath

In the aftermath of the devastating news of Stan's early death, I am drawn to practising Sabbath rest more intentionally than I have, perhaps, done before.

Sabbath. How did I enjoy it?

I went to church, joining with the fellowship of believers in painful praise, my heart sick with sorrow at the same time. 

I reconnected with old friends in meaningful conversations both face to face and by email. 

I lay in front of a log fire, basking in its warmth. 

I wrestled - still wrestle - with questions of meaning and purpose, wondering what my next life step might be and how I can be fruitful. 

I tidy a little, clear a little clutter, organise and plan. 

I create a web listing, wanting to host strangers, engaging with what this might look like. I dream, and plan, and dream. 

I delight in my granddaughter’s amazing prowess: has there have been such a curious, funny, imaginative, creative and adventurous little girl? Yes, of course: her mother, my daughter. 

I thank God for the wonders of the internet: Skype, Instagram, electronic photos and videos…

And I prayed. I prayed comfort and consolation for my dear friend Tami and family who have lost our dear Stan. The world was a better place with him in it and now there is a gaping hole.

Sabbath. A good day. Let me create moments of Sabbath, as I do now, in my every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment